Hocus Pocus and All That
Embrace Change for a Fabulous New Year
By Maureen L. Bonatch
One of the most overused quotes, yet most of us continue to ignore the message. Perhaps that’s because most people like to be comfortable and don’t like change…even if it might be good for them.
“Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.” ~ George Bernard Shaw
Yet when you read almost any book, there is always either an internal or external change involved with the character. No one wants to read a book about someone who never experienced any change or growth. We’d be turning the pages waiting for the “black moment” or the “Inciting incident” and all we’d find would be more of the same.
So why not write our own story of growth and progress for 2018?
Calling all Writers
• AutoCrit & Grammarly
- I’ve been complaining (to myself, and anyone who would listen) about my endless editing process forever. This is one of the reasons why I have manuscripts piled up waiting for edits—until I decided no more excuses.
- I stopped editing the way I always have and invested in new programs to change my process—so far it seems quicker, and better already.
What about you? Does Your Editing Process Need Tweaking?
- I must admit, I haven’t explored this yet, but I’ve wanted to try it for years. I’m not sure why I waited so long (procrastination! Ack- change!) just to look at it. This year I’ll discover if I’m a Scrivener lover or hater.
Any Scrivener Lovers or Haters Here?
• Text to Speech
- As a Mac user I’ve had it all along—who knew?! It’s so much more effective than trying to read through my manuscript.
Your Home & Health
I think I’ve chased every diet and fad for most of my adult life. Only one program has ever worked for me, so I went back to it last year, and if I stick with it, it works.
1. Physical Health
• The Bad news= there is no magic pill to lose weight.
• The Good News= Weight Watchers works- if you are ready to commit (don’t ask me about December- but I’m recommitted today!)
• As for exercise, I blathered on about my treadmill desk before, so I won’t bore you with that. Check that info out here: http://paranormalromantics.blogspot.com/2016/12/when-you-win-nanowri-you-need-to-stand.html?spref=fb
Brace Yourselves. January= a million diet & exercise commercials.
2. Keeping Your House Healthy
Not much makes me happier than organizing stuff. That’s why I’ve been stocking up all kinds of tips on my Pinterest Board. I’ve tried the cleaning supplies over the door organization & love it and can’t wait to try the wrapping paper over the door organization.
• Are You an Organization geek, like me? Check out some of the cool stuff I’ve come across. https://www.pinterest.com/maureenbonatch/cool-stuff-for-the-house/
• Overwhelmed with emails? Especially after the holidays when everyone wants your email address? You know you don’t want any more emails, but can’t resist the lure of those treasured coupons! Check out this site to unsubscribe from a bunch at once. https://unroll.me/
• Because I spend far too much time in cyberspace, if you follow my blog, I try to share tips like these that I’ve come across. http://www.maureenbonatch.com/2016/09/tips-tricks-hard-boiled-eggs/
3. Keeping Your Mind Healthy- Never Stop Learning
They say keeping your mind active and engaged helps keep you young. With the plethora of online courses, there is no excuse not to keep exploring new things.
• I admit, I love online classes and have taken a lot, but last year, I ventured into Freelance Writing.
I hope you’ve found something to inspire you to make that change you’ve been considering for the New Year. Write your own story and be the heroine you know yourself to be!
What Are Your Plans for the New Year? Do You Make Goals and/or Resolutions?
Post originally featured on http://paranormalromantics.blogspot.com
© January 2017-2018 Maureen L. Bonatch All Rights Reserved
Maureen Bonatch grew up in small town Pennsylvania and her love of the four seasons—hockey, biking, sweat pants and hibernation—keep her there. While immersed in writing or reading paranormal romance and fantasy, she survives on caffeine, wine, music, and laughter. A feisty Shih Tzu, her teen twins & alpha hubby keep her in line. http://www.maureenbonatch.com/