Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Are You Feeling Lucky?

Hocus Pocus and All That 
Are You Feeling Lucky?
By Maureen L. Bonatch
I’ve got a lot of Irish blood in me, but I tell myself that I don’t believe in luck, that I make my own luck. But perhaps I’m not being totally honest with myself, because who wouldn’t want to believe in the ‘easy button’ in which luck could solve all of your troubles. Just considering the number of people who play the lottery confirms the masses that hope to run across a lucky streak.

I’m not much of a gambler, nor do I play the lottery as much as I hope to win it, but it seems I do find myself looking for luck in other ways.

I’m Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover
Have you found your four-leaf clover yet? I did, a few times as a child. I held onto the cherished weed until it withered and dried. I kept waiting to see what kind of luck would befall me now that I’d spent hours sorting through masses of clover to find the alleged lucky clover.

Nothing spectacular happened. I suppose I could’ve dissected the event deeper, and deemed that perhaps the lucky leaf protected me from some other fate unbeknownst to me.

Cross Your Fingers
Since childhood, I’ve used the powerful method to will things to go my way, by crossing my fingers (Psst- sometimes I even cross my toes if I need some extra luck! That one’s a little trickier). I even promised this sacred sharing of luck to others when they are in need of a little good fortune.

Wishing On a Star
I’m a grown ass adult, but that won’t stop me from wishing on the first star I see in sky. I pretend I’m admiring the moon, or contemplating some deep thoughts when in reality I’m muttering the old nursery rhyme in my mind… “star light, star bright, first star that I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might, have this wish I wish tonight.”

Checking that Horoscope
It’s for fun, I say. Yet I read the darn thing everyday and if it’s a good one, I’m pretty sure there are some nuggets of truth nestled in there somewhere, just look how many of my Virgo traits it nailed, right?

Luck, and Superstition, Leaking into My Stories
With a moment or two of reflection, I realize some of this has leaked into my stories. In Destiny Calling, many of the residents of the town hang a decoration not unlike a wind chime-like consisting of three masks featuring a horse, a snake and a dog to honor Hecate, and request “luck” and guidance in choosing the right path.

You can always find a method to support your belief if you want to cling to it. Besides—who wants to dispel the beauty of the magic in the world?

Do You Have a Lucky Charm?

Originally featured on http://paranormalromantics.blogspot.com
© 2018 Maureen L. Bonatch All Rights Reserved Maureen Bonatch grew up in small town Pennsylvania and her love of the four seasons—hockey, biking, sweat pants and hibernation—keep her there. While immersed in writing or reading paranormal romance and fantasy, she survives on caffeine, wine, music, and laughter. A feisty Shih Tzu, her teen twins & alpha hubby keep her in line. http://www.maureenbonatch.com/

No comments: